Wednesday, June 23, 2010

:) :) :)

Have you ever started your day in a bad mood? What about a good mood? Do you even notice if the start of your day sets the tone for the rest of the day? I’ve been trying to practice positive thinking lately. I want to start out each day by being intentionally, happy, joyful, optimistic, relaxed, kind, quick to smile, quick to laugh. I’ve felt recently that I don’t laugh often enough. I don’t dwell on the good things long enough. I don’t take time to stop and smell the roses. Starting today-staring RIGHT NOW-I’m going to TRY to be this new Terri. I don’t want to let the little annoying things bother me for too long. Sure, it’s REALLY hot in the house. Uncomfortable, even. So what?! Go outside and enjoy the pond and plants and pergola! I don’t really want to go to work today. (or ever.) Oh well, hopefully I’ll get to see my friend Stace! Maybe I’ll get some sun at lunch time. Maybe I’ll learn something new or solve a problem. Maybe I’ll help someone! Did you know people can HEAR a smile in your voice? Try smiling at everyone you meet and talk to today. I bet we’ll be happier and have more energy if we do this J When something negative, sad, frustrating, annoying, aggravating happens, I’m going to do my best to acknowledge it, but then move on!

I read this today: “If [your smile is] not activated, you tend to be more negative, discouraged, or even depressed. Take it from a professional observer of people, you are probably not a fun person to spend time with. Here is a great tip for a life-changing outcome. This is a scientifically proven way to activate this ‘feel good’ area of your brain. Try to smile until you get crinkles around your eyes. Force yourself in the beginning to do this. Hopefully, it will come more natural to you the more you do it. This will physically turn on this portion of your brain. Not only will you feel better - but you will get more positive responses from the people around you! Another way to trigger this part of your brain and get that smile going is to have a really good laugh. Watch more funny movies and enjoy a good joke and laugh out loud, even if you are alone. Especially if you are alone!”
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Smiling_Can_Change_Your_Life.html.

Check out these quotes for some inspiration!

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. They are but trifles, to be sure, but, scattered along life’s pathway, the good they do is inconceivable. ~English essayist Joseph Addison.

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day. ~Author Unknown

Every thought is a seed. If you plant crab apples, don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious. ~Bill Meyer

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan, 1893

There are no menial jobs, only menial attitudes. ~William J. Bennett, The Book of Virtues (ooh, this is a good one for me!)


Want to test out this smile theory with me? Let’s do it! It certainly can’t hurt?

1 comment:

Andrew and Anneke said...

So here I am! Just wanted to say hi : ) and leave a comment : ) I found your blog through Sarah Bass'....

Anneke

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...