Monday, June 2, 2008

No Time! No Time! (or, Pipes, Tears, Moving and a Missing cat)

Well this has been quite the weekend! I thought I had moved enough of my stuff little by little into Jeff’s house to make it MUCH easier on my actual moving day, which was Saturday. That’s what I get for thinking! But let me start from the beginning. Jeff is putting in a 2nd bathroom. YAY! J It will even be off the master bedroom. DOUBLE YAY! Well, the first big job was the plumbing. Dad and Jeff worked on that after Dad got off of work on Friday. They worked ALL DAY while mom and I moved a load over from my house. Oh, and let me tell you that mom and I stood in the corner of the staircase at my old house with my box springs wedged between us trying to figure out HOW ON EARTH the stupid thing ever got downstairs because we couldn’t for the life of us get it moved upstairs. After about 25 minutes we finally gave up and gave in and left the thing there until the following day when Dad and Jeff would help us finish up. So Mom and I arrive with a load of stuff and Jeff’s only to find the guys are having a really hard time and are still under the house and are muddier than anything I’ve ever seen! Poor guys! L Not only that, but after a full day of work and being crowded and cramped and damp and muddy they tried turning on the water and the pipes just fell apart. Who knows why?! We were some unhappy campers that night. With no water. So we tried to make the best of it and be optimistic, all the while dreading the next day when we’d have to move more stuff and get back under the house. Thankfully my brother has learned a TON at his maintenance job and when he called to say he couldn’t come help (drat!), he DID give some great advice about some more expensive plumbing pieces that you don’t have to Sauder. A couple of hours later the guy emerged from the basement and everything worked with no leaks! PHEW! Now if only they didn’t emerge into what looked like a tornado of my STUFF. Well, I’ve been on my own for 5 years. I have STUFF. I tried to put as much of it away as possible before I was too worn out. And lucky Jeff escaped to Denver to have some guy time with his friend Adam. Then, last night after I went to bed I decided I wanted to bring my cat Clarence into the room to sleep with me. Only I couldn’t find him. Anywhere. We’ve been letting him into the back yard when we can watch him, but we had brought him back in when it got dark last night. So I put on some pants and we’re off looking for him. Poor Jeff probably didn’t know what to do with me. I was tired, sore, and now my kitty was lost. I was a mess. We never found him. But never fear! I got up at about 1:30 this morning and he was just sleeping away on the window ledge as if he’d never left. THAT DARN CAT! We left the back door open so that if he found his way home he could get inside. I guess that’s what he did. So now I guess I won’t go into a panic if he ever wanders off again. This morning I woke up to a clean, organized house with a cat at home and I went to the gym before work. What a weekend! Who knew getting ready for a wedding would include THIS?! We leave on Saturday. WOOHOO!!!!!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Ugh - plumbing issues are the worst! If you need to vent, let me know- we've been there! Plumbing issues have a way of rearing their head at just the right time to make your life miserable for a while. I'm glad it all got worked out without much expense. I hope this last week of singlehood goes smoother as you keep your eye on what is better :-) Love you!

Carly said...

I'm so, so happy Clare-Bear came home! I miss that guy...

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...