Sunday, January 11, 2009

Someplace New Review Catch Up

It's been so long I don't even remember what number I last used, but that's OK. This will just finish up the 2008 places and then I'll start over for 2009, since we haven't eaten anywhere new yet this year.

Front Range Barbecue.


You guessed it-not a lot of choices for a vegetarian. But that's OK. They had mac n cheese to offer, as well as fried artichoke hearts, which were delicious! I think they might have even had a salad. And I had mashed potatoes and gravy and a grilled cheese sandwich. They did, however, have tons of meat! They were voted the best BBQ place in the Springs for 2008 by the Independent. I think Jeff really enjoyed it. I can't remember exactly what he had, but for sure ribs. He loves ribs! The atmosphere was pretty strange. The restaurant was in an old house in Old Colorado City area, so it seems small and the tables were set up in different rooms of the house. The decorating was plain and there didn't seem to be a real theme. But it was comfy and clean, so it worked. I'd give it a 6 of 10. But that's mostly because of the lack of veg fare. :)

Me Gusta.

This means "I like it" or something close to that in Spanish. But we should really call it NO ME GUSTA. We ate here, in Salida, with Cade on our way home from Montrose the weekend after Christmas. Usually we eat at the most amazing pizza place EVER, Amica's. But we wanted to try something new and different this time. Big Mistake. To start off, they offered us chips and salsa. For $5. With no refills. While the salsa was really quite tasty, charging that much for it was ludicrous. The menu seemed to offer the same general items you would find at any Mexican restaurant, and we ordered what we always do: Chimichangas. YUCK. The guac tasted funny, Cade and Jeff's meat was strange and it was just altogether not impressive. But very pricey! Boo :( The only redemptive thing I can say about it is that it had a cute poster in the bathroom about how to be a global citizen. I would never recommend it or go back. 1 of 10. blllllllllllllll (that is me sticking my tongue out at the place.)

PJ's Bistro

This place seemed pretty good at first glance. We snuck in out of the snow after we finished playing at the penny arcade in Manitou. Side note, games at the penny arcade cost 25-75 cents. It was freezing outside and we all realized we were hungry, so we quickly found a place to eat and PJ's was it. It is located in a historic building that used to be a hotel but is now an apartment. Why did I not know about this cute place to live when I lived alone?! There was a newspaper article on the wall calling it Euorotopia. The server seemed to be from Russia and there were lots of different choices from different countries. Potato pancakes, for example, and Perogi's. I think the place could have been really good. Unfortunately they didn't have the choice that Jeff wanted, although I think he still enjoyed his giant brat and sauerkraut. I ordered potato pancakes (Latke's) with applesauce and sour cream. It had so much potential! And so many onions! :( If you know me, you know that is just. not. good. I tried to eat them. I did. I even drenched them in ketchup to pretend they were hash browns. But it didn't work. The great news is that Cade had a Club sandwich that seemed to be just about the best sandwich he'd ever eaten in his life. Phew! I might go back. But until then it only gets a 6 of 10.
Stay tuned! I got an ipod touch from Jeff for Christmas and downloaded that awesome application, Urban Spoon. You know the one where you shake your ipod and it rolls like a slot machine until it lands on a restaurant. There should be many more new places in 2009!

No comments:

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...