Tuesday, April 1, 2008

When the worst day with the one you love is so much better than your best day without him.

Some thoughts on marriage.

Someone recently asked me why I want to marry Jeff. This guy is married, but he seemed a little cynical about marriage. Maybe he was asking me why I want to get married in general, but it got me to thinking about why I really do want to marry my man. The answer I gave was general and simple. Because our love says we should. That got the man all riled up. We ought not to be doing things simply because we “should.” Well let me explain. It’s not because society says I should. Or our parents. Or God, or anyone. It’s not because I feel an expectation that we must fulfill. It’s because I have this love for Jeff. This big, indescribable feeling that’s more than a feeling, it’s also a choice. But it’s not a choice, it’s as if I have no choice at all. It seems to me the only thing to be done with this love is to give it a pronouncement of forever. Together. So that it will continue just as it is, but also grow and strengthen into so much more. Have you ever looked at someone’s face when they smile and you can’t help but smile, too? Have you ever felt a warmth right inside your heart when you just glance at a person? When you see someone simply cooking in the kitchen, playing with their son, chatting with your family or even struggling beyond anything you have ever experienced and all you can imagine is being right by their side each second of their life? That is the “should” of getting married I’m talking about. Sure, I recognize that it’s going to be hard. Stressful. A struggle. Did that guy think that by pointing those things out I’d say “oh, you’re right, thanks for bringing that up. I don’t love Jeff that much.” ??? I don’t think so! Love means you get through that stuff and get to the other side looking even prettier =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ter! It has been fun catching up with you via your blog! I got my swimsuit on clearance at Target. It is an Isaac Mizrahi. 10 bucks!!! I looked online, but didn't see it for you. :(

Ash

emily anderson said...

my thoughts exactly...

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...