Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Things You Do

Recently I’ve been talking through life and all its changes with a therapist. It’s been really wonderful to just chat with someone unbiased who makes me feel normal! Last time we met I told her I had given a little list of things to Jeff of things that he does that make me feel so loved. She thought it was great and often has couples do the same thing. She said she sometimes can’t believe how hard it is for many people to list 10 things that make them feel loved. Well come on people! We need to feel loved as much as we need to show love. And how can our spouses or friends or family know how to love us well if we don’t help them along. None of us are mind readers here! So I decided to make a list of things that make me feel loved.

(including but not limited to things Jeff and others already do for me! :)
Getting a card or special note
Coming home to a made bed
Not having to take the trash out
When Jeff cooks for me
Going on Dates
Getting a random email during the day
When Jeff shares my excitement or annoyance about things
Having my opinion taken seriously
Open and honest communication
Jeff loving my family
When Jeff takes care of my car issues
When Jeff likes to introduce me to his friends
Getting complimented on looks
Getting complimented on character
Getting thanked for things I do, even if they are little
When Jeff wipes my tears away and tells me it’s OK to cry
Spontaneous hugs
Thoughtful gifts
Eating my cooking even though it’s pretty terrible
Working around my vegetarianism even though it’s a huge pain

And these are just a few I thought of right away! Why don’t we all go and ask our loved ones what we can do to make them feel loved. It can’t hurt. And it will probably be GREAT!

No comments:

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...