Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Peace




September 21st is the UN International Day of Peace. http://www.internationaldayofpeace.org/


I admit, I am an idealist on this topic. Peace is probably not a reality in the world. But that doesn't mean it's not worth working toward. There aren't many events going on that I know of in Colorado Springs, but I found one of the ways we can participate in this day is with peace pinwheels. So once again I got excited about something and decided to play a tiny part. The link for the pinwheels tells you to get a piece of paper and on one side write thoughts about peace and on the other side decorate.

http://www.pinwheelsforpeace.com/

I used craft paper and on the blank sides wrote quotes that were inspirational to me about peace. Then I made the pinwheels and on the 21st I'm going to put them in our yard as a sign of solidarity with those around the world who yearn for peace.






















"Pinwheels for Peace is an art installation project started in 2005 by two Art teachers, Ann Ayers and Ellen McMillan, who teach at Monarch High School in Coconut Creek, Florida, as a way for students to express their feelings about what’s going on in the world and in their lives. The project was quickly embraced by their students and the entire school community and by millions of art teachers, teachers, parents, children and adults who desire peace in our world."

You should join us!

1 comment:

Melanie L said...

Ter, you make me want to be a better person. I love you so much I could cry!

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...