Friday, September 12, 2008

World Carfree Day



Sometimes I like to pretend I really care about different efforts that take place around the city, or even world. I was looking up the Pikes Peak Peace and Justice Commission calendar yesterday (they are a terrific org, btw, here is their website: http://www.ppjp.org/), and came across September 22nd-World Carfree Day. Pretty interesting. This org basically wants to end the worlds dependence on driving cars. What a nice yet scary thought! Anyway, I though, hey, I can probably pretty easily participate in this effort. So I called our local Metro number to find out about bus routes. Hmmm. Not so easy after all. I gave the woman my address and the address of my office. Keep in mind it takes me about 30 minutes to get to work and is about 20 miles. So the friendly lady say, "we only have two buses that go that route, do you want to be at work at 7:55 or 7:30?" 7:55, I say. "OK, you'll have to meet your bus on your corner at 6:00." WHAT? It will take 2 hours to get to work on the bus? There is something hugely wrong with that picture. Colorado Springs has some things to work on. This is definitely one of them. I have a choice. I have a car. What if I didn't?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! It's the same way here and we supposedly have one of the better transit systems in the country - bah!

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...