Monday, January 4, 2010

Recipe Review - Borekas

Remember when I used to do the “someplace new review” on the blog? Well that went out the window when we started budgeting. Now it’s better not to spend money on new restaurants, but perhaps new recipes would be a good goal instead. One of my goals for the year is to try out a new recipe each week. Hopefully I’ll learn new delicious and healthy meals we can eat to get us out of our rut, which is pretty much nachos, burritos, spaghetti, pasta salad, pancakes, repeat. I got so excited while looking at one of my cookbooks that I’ve already tried two new recipes. I confess I hurried too quickly at the grocery and therefore didn’t have all the necessary ingredients, but tried to make do with what I had. So here we go!

BOREKAS
8 oz cream cheese, softened
7 oz feta cheese crumbles
1 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
Filo dough (this is what I didn’t have, so I used croissants instead-they worked great!)

Mix all ingredients in bowl-mixture will be lumpy
Separate dough into even lengths (if you use croissants, you’ll need to roll them out and flatten them, probably need to cans of 6.)
After you have about 6-8 lengths of dough, about 2-3 inches wide and 6-8 inches long, put a tablespoon or two of the mixture at one end of the dough. Then fold one corner over and pinch. Repeat folding until you reach the end of the dough and it is in the shape of a triangle. Bake according to package directions (probably at 350 for 20 minutes or so)
Enjoy!

Jeff and I gave this two thumbs up! Of course we both love cheese and carbs, so while it might not have been the healthiest, it was sure a perfect combo of ingredients for us! This is more of an appetizer than a meal, so we had it with some left over chili. MMMMmmmmm :)


MIXED BERRY COUSCOUS
1 cup plain couscous
2 cups cranapple juice
Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc
Honey
Yogurt

Bring juice to a boil in saucepan.
Add couscous, remove from heat, cover for 5 minutes until all juice is absorbed.
Put couscous in bowl, add berries, sprinkle with honey and top with a dollop of yogurt and serve for a warm, healthy breakfast.

Pretty tasty. I would probably give this 2 thumbs up with some slight adjustments. I don’t love the cranapple juice and wonder what the couscous would taste like just made plain and adding a bit of brown sugar for sweetness. Or maybe just using plain apple just instead of the cranapple. The raspberries taste wonderful with it, though, and it made enough for breakfast all week!

No comments:

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...