Monday, March 14, 2011

Think about it

I saw this clip and cried and cried. It brought out emotions and so many thoughts. There is so much going on in the world. So much sadness, pain, hunger, death, hate, fear. But there is also good! People are living, thriving, helping each other. Neighbors lending hands. Communities sharing gardens. Cities building houses. Countries sending rescuers.

This video made me think. Please. When we generalize a group of people based on color, race, language, country. When we characterize a religion with a single word. When we think it's appropriate to make sweeping statements about a person, religion, group of people, HUMANS, men, women, children, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, grandchildren, PEOPLE, let us think first. Let us use our hearts, let us look in the eyes of those people and then look in the mirror. Let us recognize ourselves in them.

I have never been so weary, so sad, so tired and frustrated and disappointed by all the email blasts, the politics from politicians and non-politicians alike, the fear, the hate. Where are our hearts? Where is our love? Why aren't our initial, automatic responses to people, to life in general love? In the wake of disaster? LOVE. In the midst of violence? LOVE. Surrounded by prejudice? LOVE. I've decided to let it come from me first. I'm not going to wait for someone else to be the loving one. Maybe when they see it, feel it, hear it coming from me, it will more easily flow from them. Please, watch this video, and if nothing else, just think about it. It is a beautiful portrayal of a human heart greiving over the loss of another. Regardless of your opinion on his politics or the hearing in particular, I believe Congressman Ellison's testimony is filled with conviction, truth and love.

I realize this is a public blog, and I'm setting myself up for comments. However, if you are going to say something negative or durogatory about Rep Ellison, Muslims, my post, or anything at all, I will not publish your comment. The point of my post is love and I will not sully the message with anything else. I realize the world will never be free of disagreements and opposite opinions. But why add hate? Why not sprinkle our conversations and discussions and even disagreements with love?




you can find the entire hearing here:
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/AmericanMu

No comments:

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...