Friday, March 5, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture


I try to be green. I try to be healthy. I try to be good. I want to eat local. I don’t want to hurt animals. I want to save money. How on earth can I do all of this? Well, I’ve recently learned about a little thing (or, rather huge thing really) called CSA’s. Community Supported Agriculture. It’s strange, because about a month ago I was looking into new and different egg options, and even contemplating vegan cheese products. The more I learn about how our food is produced and how animals who provide for us are treated, the more disgusted and discouraged I get. I will spare you the details, but there are plenty of them out there for you to horrify yourself on your own. If you want to continue eating meat and dairy, I suggest you don’t do the research. In any case, I didn’t find much while I was googling local chicken farms or cheap cheese options. However, I was reading an awesome blog: http://www.designspongeonline.com/ , when I ran across an entry about CSA’s. Hello information! These farms are amazing! Even if you don’t want to change the way you shop or eat, I would still encourage you to check them out, just to see how cool they are. Check out http://www.localharvest.org/ . You can learn about community farms, farmers markets, grocery’s and co-ops and many other really cool things. What are CSA’s?

Over the last 20 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer. Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season. For more info check out this link: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/.

One of the things that has become really important to me is finding eggs laid by happy, healthy, safe and unharmed chickens. Lo and Behold I found a place! Grant Family Farms. http://grantfarms.com/home.php. YAY! Sure, the price is a bit higher than your grocery store variety of “cage free” eggs (about $1/dozen more), but to me it is totally worth it. (again, if you do that research you will see why.) I’m really excited and I signed up for our share this morning. I honestly believe this type of thing creates a happier, healthier animal, person, community and earth. Just check it out-what can it hurt?!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks - this is great info!

An open letter to the school district

 So the plan for school this year, at the K-5 level, was pretty complicated to begin. (the plan was made after lots of meeting and planning ...